Lactuca hirsuta Muhl. ex Nutt.
- Botanical Name
- Lactuca hirsuta Muhl. ex Nutt.
- Common Name
- Hairy Lettuce
- Lactuca hirsuta Muhl.
- Flora of Virginia Name/Status
- Lactuca hirsuta Muhlenberg ex Nuttall
- Two variants recognized by Fernald have received little recognition by other workers. Most Virginia material is referable to var. sanguinea (Bigel.) Fern., which has glabrous or glabrate stems and leaves glabrous except on the midrib beneath. The var. hirsuta, with shaggy-villous lower stems and strongly pilose leaves, has been collected in Sussex and Southampton counties.
- Dry, open forests, clearings, and road banks. Infrequent in the Coastal Plain and Piedmont; rare in the mountains.
- Native Status
To save this map, right-click (control-click for Mac users) on the map and choose "Save Image As...".