Verbesina virginica L.
- Botanical Name
- Verbesina virginica L.
- Common Name
- White Crownbeard, Frostweed
- Verbesina virginica L. var. virginica
- Flora of Virginia Name/Status
- Verbesina virginica L. var virginica
- We tentatively follow FNA, which doesn't formally recognize two infraspecific taxa (var. laciniata and var. virginica); if recognized, ours would be var. virginica. However, Weakley (2012) states that specific status may be warranted for these, and further study is needed. In any case, Virginia populations are significantly disjunct from the main range of the species, which otherwise reaches a northern limit in the Atlantic states in sc. NC.
- Mesic to dry, usually calcareous forests, woodlands, and clearings. Infrequent in the s. and c. Coastal Plain; rare in the s. Piedmont and sw. mountains.
- Native Status
To save this map, right-click (control-click for Mac users) on the map and choose "Save Image As...".