Malus angustifolia (Aiton) Michx.
- Botanical Name
- Malus angustifolia (Aiton) Michx.
- Common Name
- Southern Crabapple
- Flora of Virginia Name/Status
- Malus angustifolia (Ait.) Michx.
- Plants with twigs and pedicels densely and rather persistently pannose have been called var. puberula Rehder.
The map from Atlas lll (largely reproduced here) may include some records of M. coronaria that are misidentified. Re-evaluation of herbarium specimens is needed.
- Open upland forests, woodlands, shrubby clearings, old fields, and fencerows; occasionally in alluvial or seasonally wet habitats. Infrequent but widespread in the s. and c. Coastal Plain; infrequent to rare elsewhere.
- Native Status
To save this map, right-click (control-click for Mac users) on the map and choose "Save Image As...".