Atriplex glabriuscula Edmondston
No images available.
- Botanical Name
- Atriplex glabriuscula Edmondston
- Common Name
- Smooth Orach, Maritime Orach, Scotland Saltbush
- Flora of Virginia Name/Status
- Atriplex glabriuscula
- A re-assessment of Virginia Atriplex specimens by Johnny Townsend and Tom Wieboldt in 2011 led to the notable discovery of two specimens of the northern maritime species A. glabriuscula from the Saltville marshes. While a number of disjunct halophytes have been documented from Saltville over the years, none is as far from their core range as this species, which ranges from the Canadian maritime provinces south to New England and Pennsylvania. Although the specimens were compared with Nova Scotian material, the appropriate varietal designation(s) remains unclear.
- Known only from extraordinarily rare inland salt marshes developed in seasonally flooded basins fed by saline springs at Saltville, Smyth County (Ridge and Valley province).
- Native Status
To save this map, right-click (control-click for Mac users) on the map and choose "Save Image As...".