Polypodium virginianum complex
- Botanical Name
- Polypodium virginianum complex
- Common Name
- Rockcap Fern
- Flora of Virginia Name/Status
- Polypodium appalachianum Haufler & Windham + Polypodium virginianum L.
- Map currently includes records for P. virginianum, sensu stricto, P. appalachianum, hybrids between the two, and specimens of uncertain disposition. See also incomplete maps of the two species, the distinction between which is confounded by frequent triploid backcrosses with intermediate morphology (Polypodium ×incognitum), making identification problematic..
- Members of the complex grow on shaded outcrops of a wide range of rock types, and are frequent across the Piedmont and mountains.
- Native Status
To save this map, right-click (control-click for Mac users) on the map and choose "Save Image As...".