Juncus scirpoides Lam.
- Botanical Name
- Juncus scirpoides Lam.
- Common Name
- Needle-pod Rush, Lobe-headed Rush
- Flora of Virginia Name/Status
- Juncus scirpoides Lamarck var. compositus Harper + J. scirpoides Lamarck var. scirpoides
- This map includes all records for the species and its two varieties, var. compositus Harper and var. scirpoides. Many Virginia herbarium specimens have not yet been identified to variety, so the varietal maps are very incomplete at this time.
- The species occurs in various wet, open habitats, including bogs, seeps, wet meadows, interdune swales, and ditches. It is frequent to locally common in the Coastal Plain and Piedmont, and rare in the n. mountains. The relative distribution and frequency of the two vars. has not been completely determined, but var. scirpoides is believed to be more common and widespread. Var. compositus is reported to be mostly restricted to the Coastal Plain, where it reaches its northern range limits in VA.
- Native Status
To save this map, right-click (control-click for Mac users) on the map and choose "Save Image As...".