Arenaria serpyllifolia L. var. serpyllifolia
- Botanical Name
- Arenaria serpyllifolia L. var. serpyllifolia
- Common Name
- Large Thyme-leaved Sandwort
- Arenaria serpyllifolia L., s.s.
- Flora of Virginia Name/Status
- Arenaria serpyllifolia L.
- Most Virginia herbarium specimens of A. serpyllifolia have not been determined to variety and certainly some records included herein represent var. tenuior. The two varieties have small morphological differences but differ in ploidy-level, 2n = 40 in var. serpyllifolia vs. 2n = 20 in var. tenuior). Some authorities treat them as species, but that seems questionable, and we follow the varietal approach of Hartman, Rabeler, & Utech in FNA (2005, Vol. 5).
- Dry soil of woodlands, outcrops, fields, gravelly roadsides, lawns, and other weedy open habitats, often in barren soils recovering from disturbance. The status of var. serpyllifolia has not yet been determined. Based on specimens identified thus far, it is probably frequent throughout.
- Native Status
To save this map, right-click (control-click for Mac users) on the map and choose "Save Image As...".