Rudbeckia fulgida Ait. var. fulgida
- Botanical Name
- Rudbeckia fulgida Ait. var. fulgida
- Common Name
- Orange Coneflower
- Rudbeckia fulgida Ait. var. spathulata (Michx.) Perdue
- Flora of Virginia Name/Status
- Rudbeckia fulgida Ait.
- FNA recognizes seven varieties, four of which are alleged to have broadly overlapping ranges in Virginia: var. fulgida, var. spathulata, var. umbrosa, and var. speciosa. This group is clearly in need of taxonomic study. Our own view of the variability among Virginia specimens is close to that of Cronquist, who recognized var. fulgida (incl. var. spathulata), var. umbrosa, and var. speciosa, the last from well outside our region. At least for now, we follow this simpler approach, under which most of our material is var. fulgida, with var. umbrosa being known only from Lee County.
- Dry to moist woodlands, barrens, clearings, old fields, meadows, and roadsides. Frequent in the Piedmont; infrequent in the mountains and inner Coastal Plain.
- Native Status
To save this map, right-click (control-click for Mac users) on the map and choose "Save Image As...".