Solidago arguta Ait. var. caroliniana Gray
No images available.
- Botanical Name
- Solidago arguta Ait. var. caroliniana Gray
- Common Name
- Atlantic Goldenrod
- Flora of Virginia Name/Status
- Solidago arguta Aiton var. caroliniana A. Gray
- Map incomplete at the present time pending the additional herbarium work needed to fully map the vars. of S. arguta. See species map and comments under Solidago arguta var. arguta. The pubescence on achenes of var. caroliniana is highly variable, sometimes restricted to the uppermost portion of the achene, but more often present generally over the surface. Even so, it can be sparse to uniform, and long or short. Previous studies of the Virginia Flora (Johnson (1995); Castanea 60:114-140.) attributed var. boottii to the state. As now applied (pubescent achenes but with strigose or stigilose leaves), Virginia plants do not conform and the variety is said to range from SC southward and westward. Most specimens so annotated are treated here as var. caroliniana.
- Mesic to dry upland forests, woodlands, barrens, clearings, and meadows. The species is common in the mountains and infrequent in the Piedmont and Coastal Plain; var. caroliniana appears to be distributed primarily across the southern half of the state.
- Native Status
To save this map, right-click (control-click for Mac users) on the map and choose "Save Image As...".