Symphyotrichum patens (Ait.) Nesom var. patens
- Botanical Name
- Symphyotrichum patens (Ait.) Nesom var. patens
- Common Name
- Late Purple Aster
- Aster patens Ait. var. patens
- Flora of Virginia Name/Status
- Symphyotrichum patens (Aiton) nesom var. patens
- Most Virginia plants are referable to var. patens. Var. gracile (Hook.) Nesom, which is most common in the sc. US, has also been attributed to Virginia by FNA, but is defined more narrowly by Jones (1983, Sida 10) and excluded from eastern states; this discrepancy requires further study. See also S. phlogifolium.
- Dry-mesic to dry upland forests, woodlands, barrens, clearings, and road banks; tolerates a range of soil chemistries. Frequent to common in the mountains and Piedmont; infrequent to rare in the Coastal Plain.
- Native Status
To save this map, right-click (control-click for Mac users) on the map and choose "Save Image As...".