Symphyotrichum pilosum (Willd.) Nesom var. pringlei (Gray) Nesom
No images available.
- Botanical Name
- Symphyotrichum pilosum (Willd.) Nesom var. pringlei (Gray) Nesom
- Common Name
- Frost Aster; Pringle's Aster
- Aster pilosus Willd. var. demotus Blake; Aster pilosus Willd. var. pringlei A. Gray
- Flora of Virginia Name/Status
- Symphyotrichum pilosum (Willd.) Nesom var. pringlei (A. Gray) Nesom
- The map is very incomplete at present pending the extensive herbarium work that will be required to map the two vars. of Symphyotrichum pilosum. See species map for S. pilosum.
Some plants of var. pringlei were formerly referred to as Aster pilosus var. demotus. Stem height (taller than pringlei) was used as a distinguishing character, but subsequently determined to be environmentally determined (Semple, et als, 1996; Asters of Ontario). The glabrate stem and leaves and overall more open aspect serve to distinguish var. pringlei from var. pilosus reasonably well. However, plants intermediate in pubescence between these vars. are not uncommon.
- Woodlands, barrens, outcrops, dry clearings, old fields, road banks, and
waste ground; often in drier or harsher soil conditions than var. pilosum. Common throughout.
- Native Status
To save this map, right-click (control-click for Mac users) on the map and choose "Save Image As...".