Symphyotrichum lanceolatum (Willd.) Nesom
- Botanical Name
- Symphyotrichum lanceolatum (Willd.) Nesom
- Common Name
- Panicled Aster, Eastern Lined Aster
- Aster simplex Willd.; Aster lanceolatus Willd.
- Flora of Virginia Name/Status
- Symphyotrichum lanceolatum (Willdenow) Nesom var. lanceolatum
- Two vars. - var. lanceolatum and var. latifolium (Semple & Chmielewski) Nesom - both appear to be widespread across at least portions of Virginia. Var. latifolium is the common southeastern segregate of the species while var. lanceolatum is northern in distribution. These vars. were lumped under a broad species concept in previous hard-copy editions of the Atlas, and Virginia herbarium material generally lacks infraspecific determination. Considerable work will be needed to reliably map them.
See also Comment under Symphyotrichum praealtum.
- Floodplain forests, alluvial swamps, seepage swamps, fens, riverbanks and stream banks, moist to wet meadows and clearings; occasionally in freshwater tidal marshes and swamps. Frequent to locally common throughout.
- Native Status
To save this map, right-click (control-click for Mac users) on the map and choose "Save Image As...".