Rorippa palustris (L.) Besser ssp. fernaldiana (Butters & Abbe) Jonsell
- Botanical Name
- Rorippa palustris (L.) Besser ssp. fernaldiana (Butters & Abbe) Jonsell
- Common Name
- Marsh Yellow Cress
- Rorippa palustris (L.) Besser ssp. palustris, in part, of Flora of Virginia
- Flora of Virginia Name/Status
- Rorippa palustris (L.) Bess. ssp. palustris
- At least for now, we follow a traditional division of this species into a European ssp. palustris, and North American ssp. fernaldiana and ssp. hispida. The Flora of Virginia follows FNA, which includes ssp. fernaldiana in a broader, circumboreal concept of ssp. palustris. Distinctions between ssp. fernaldiana and ssp. palustris (sensu stricto) are predominantly based on size and therefore may not always be clear-cut. However, Virginia material generally matches ssp. fernaldiana well.
- Sandy, gravelly, muddy, and rocky shores and banks of rivers and large streams; impoundment shores, floodplain ponds and pools, ditches, and nontidal marshes. Frequent in the Piedmont and s. Coastal Plain; infrequent in the n. Coastal Plain and mountains.
- Native Status
To save this map, right-click (control-click for Mac users) on the map and choose "Save Image As...".