Hydatica petiolaris (Raf.) Small
- Botanical Name
- Hydatica petiolaris (Raf.) Small
- Common Name
- Michaux's Saxifrage, Cliff Saxifrage
- Saxifraga michauxii Britt.; Micranthes petiolaris (Raf.) Bush
- Flora of Virginia Name/Status
- Hydatica petiolaris (Rafinesque) Small
- Long known as "Michaux's saxifrage", Saxifraga michauxii. Though reaching the northern limits of it range in Virginia and adjacent West Virginia, this S. Appalachian endemics is a frequent component of a wide variety of granitic, sandstone, and shaly cliffs and rock faces in our mountain counties.
- Crevices and ledges of exposed rock outcrops at middle to high elevations, not particular about rock type, occurring on quartzite, sandstone, granitic rocks, metabasalt, amphibolite, and other lithologies. Infrequent in the mountains, but locally occurring in large populations; rare in the inner Piedmont.
- Native Status
To save this map, right-click (control-click for Mac users) on the map and choose "Save Image As...".