Scutellaria ovata Hill ssp. rugosa (Wood) Epling
- Botanical Name
- Scutellaria ovata Hill ssp. rugosa (Wood) Epling
- Common Name
- Heart-leaf Skullcap
- Flora of Virginia Name/Status
- Scutellaria ovata Hill ssp rugosa (Wood) Epling
- Map incomplete at the present time, as many VA herbarium specimens have not been identified to subspecies.
Though not endemic to shale barren habitats, this subspecies is a regular component of these and similar habitats on other rock types. Ssp./var. virginiana is included here. Scutellaria arguta Buckley is listed in synonomy of S. ovata ssp. rugosa var. arguta by Pittman (1988) with a range of w. North Carolina and e. Tennessee. This narrow Southern Appalachian endemic was listed by Massey (1961) without basis in the herbarium or card file.
- Dry, rocky open forests, woodlands, barrens, and clearings over limestone, dolomite, shale, metabasalt, and other base-rich rocks. Frequent in the wc. and nw. mountains; infrequent or rare elsewhere. A Central Appalachian endemic (VA, WVA, MD).
- Native Status
To save this map, right-click (control-click for Mac users) on the map and choose "Save Image As...".