Viola fimbriatula J.E. Smith
- Botanical Name
- Viola fimbriatula J.E. Smith
- Common Name
- Northern Downy Violet
- Viola sagittata Aiton var. ovata (Nuttall) Torrey & A. Gray
- Flora of Virginia Name/Status
- Viola sagittata Ait. var. ovata
- This species is often included within Viola sagittata as var. ovata. However, its short petioled, pubescent leaves distinguish it fairly well in our area.
The attribution of Viola villosa, based upon an 1893 specimen at VPI, belongs here, a duplicate of which was annotated by Russell and filed among V. fimbriatula specimens.
- Dry, usually thin and infertile soils of open forests, woodlands, clearings, road banks, and pastures. Frequent in the mountains (except far sw. Virginia) and Piedmont; rare in the Coastal Plain.
- Native Status
To save this map, right-click (control-click for Mac users) on the map and choose "Save Image As...".