Antennaria howellii Greene ssp. neodioica (Greene) Bayer
No images available.
- Botanical Name
- Antennaria howellii Greene ssp. neodioica (Greene) Bayer
- Common Name
- Howell's Pussytoes
- Antennaria neglecta Greene var. neodioica (Fern.) Cronq.
- Flora of Virginia Name/Status
- Antennaria howellii Greene ssp neodioica (Greene) Bayer
- Incompletely mapped at the present time pending examination of herbarium specimens mapped in Atlas III as A. neglecta. When the A. neodioica complex was expanded to include ssp. howellii, it necessitated the change of the species name to A. howellii, a slightly earlier name than A. neodioica; see Brittonia 41:396-398 (1989). The northern ssp. canadensis is attributed to Virginia in FNA at the southern limit of its range, and may occur very sparingly here. However, actual specimens are not known to us and the ssp. is considered unverified.
- Dry forests, woodlands, rock outcrops, and clearings. Limited herbarium and field studies indicate that this taxon is scattered in the mountains, inner Piedmont, and n. Piedmont generally. However, because of widespread lumping of members of the Antennaria howellii complex and A. neglecta in Virginia floristic studies, extensive herbarium work is needed to sort out the distribution and status of individual taxa.
- Native Status
To save this map, right-click (control-click for Mac users) on the map and choose "Save Image As...".