Acer floridanum (Chapm.) Pax.
- Botanical Name
- Acer floridanum (Chapm.) Pax.
- Common Name
- Southern Sugar Maple, Florida Maple
- Acer barbatum Michaux
- Flora of Virginia Name/Status
- Acer floridanum (Chap.) Pax
- See Daniel Ward's note about the correct name for this plant in Castanea 69:230-233 (2004).
- Well-drained floodplain forests, mesic to rather dry upland forests; most characteristic of, but not limited to, soils weathered from mafic or calcareous rocks; restricted in the Coastal Plain to very rich alluvium and
calcareous soils weathered from Tertiary shell deposits. Frequent to locally common in the s. Piedmont, from the Appomattox River south and w. to Halifax County; infrequent to locally common in the inner Coastal Plain of se. Virginia, n. to James City and York counties.
- Native Status
To save this map, right-click (control-click for Mac users) on the map and choose "Save Image As...".