Gymnocarpium appalachianum Pryer and Haufler
- Botanical Name
- Gymnocarpium appalachianum Pryer and Haufler
- Common Name
- Appalachian Oak Fern
- Gymnocarpium dryopteris (L.) Newman, in part
- Flora of Virginia Name/Status
- Gymnocarpium appalachianum Pryer & Haufler
- Syst. Bot. 18:150-172 (1993) has helpful line drawings illustrating the cryptic differences between Gymnocarpium species.
This species is a broad Central Appalachian endemic.
- Mesic to dry-mesic, rocky montane forests and boulder fields, at medium to high elevations. Infrequent in the wc. and nw. mountains, but may be numerous where found; occurs on various rock types but most frequently and abundantly on base-rich metabasalt substrates of the northern Blue Ridge.
- Native Status
To save this map, right-click (control-click for Mac users) on the map and choose "Save Image As...".