Isoetes melanopoda Gay & Durieu
No images available.
- Botanical Name
- Isoetes melanopoda Gay & Durieu
- Common Name
- Black-footed Quillwort
- Flora of Virginia Name/Status
- Isoetes melanopoda Gay & Durieu ex Durieu
- Specimens from Amelia and Culpeper counties were given the new name I. melanopoda ssp. silvatica Brunton & Britton in Castanea 71:15-30 (2006), an eastern swamp forest variant of typical midwestern melanopoda. It has recently been shown by molecular studies to be one of the parents of I. virginica (Carl Taylor, pers. comm., 2016).
The spores and taxonomy of Isoetes butleri and I. melanopoda, Amer. Fern J. 65:33-38, is a helpful reference.
- Seasonally flooded swamp forests, sluggish streams, and poorly drained flatwoods. Rare in the Piedmont; known only from a few widely scattered
- Native Status
To save this map, right-click (control-click for Mac users) on the map and choose "Save Image As...".