Tsuga canadensis (L.) Carriere
- Botanical Name
- Tsuga canadensis (L.) Carriere
- Common Name
- Eastern Hemlock, Canada Hemlock
- Flora of Virginia Name/Status
- Tsuga canadensis (L.) Carr.
- Most Virginia hemlock populations have suffered extensive defoliation and mortality from outbreaks of the hemlock woolly adelgid, and healthy large individuals are now rare.
- Mesic to dry-mesic upland forests and seepage swamps; typically favors coves, protected stream bottoms, and other sites with cool microclimates;
east of the mountains, it is mostly confined to sheltered, north-facing, stream-fronting bluffs and steep slopes. Common in the mountains; infrequent in the Piedmont; rare in the Coastal Plain.
- Native Status
To save this map, right-click (control-click for Mac users) on the map and choose "Save Image As...".